There are a couple of decent offers that have just appeared if you need to top up your Avios balance for a redemption. One requires significantly more effort than the other but has much higher reward for less money.
Avis are offering 18,000 bonus Avios on top of the base Avios of 3 Avios per €1 spent with a minimum of 700 which is enough for a peak economy return flight to Spain. This may be worth doing just to get the Avios even if you don’t need the car! Prices start from around €49 which is a real bargain for 18,700 Avios.
Booking period: 21st November to 10th December 2016
Rental period: 8th to the 11th December
What’s the catch?
You have to be fairly dedicated to do this as there are quite a few hoops to jump through. Make sure you read all the T&Cs at this page.
The key ones are:
- You will have to join Iberia Plus if you are not a member and credit the miles to this. However they often run good Avios promotions so I would recommend joining anyway. You can easily transfer Avios between Iberia and BA Executive Club.
- Rentals must be 3 days and include overnight Saturday 10th December
- Minimum group C vehicle in Spain, United Kingdom, Italy, France, Germany, Portugal, Switzerland, Belgium and Holland .
- You must book on iberia.com, avisiberia.es or avis.es
- Rentals must include the Iberia Plus membership number of the first named driver. This Iberia Plus membership number must be given at time of reservation and the card shown at time of rental.
British Airways Executive club – 50% bonus on Avios purchases
You can collect a bonus of 50% when you purchase or gift Avios between Wednesday 30 November to Monday 5 December 2016. This is one of the best bonuses on Avios they have done recently but unless you are in need of a small amount quickly for a redemption, there are much cheaper way for long-term collecting of Avios. For comparison you could convert £100 into 12500 Avios in Top Cashback payout versus £125 for 12000 Avios on this offer.
Prices start at £31 for 1500 Avios up to a maximum of 1,615.00 GBP for 150,000. That sounds like a lot but combine that with a 2-4-1 vouchers and including the taxes you could get 2 First Class flights to LA for around £1450pp when using 127500 Avios plus £290 cash. This may make it worth considering as even on an ex EU you are looking at round £2200 upwards for the same flight. Avios can be purchased here.
Look out for my article on the beginner’s guide to collecting and spending Avios later this week.