IHG Rewards Club
IHG Rewards Club is the loyalty scheme for InterContinental, Crowne Plaza, Hotel Indigo, Holiday Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Staybridge Suites and Candlewood Suites brands. It has the usual benefits at the entry level which make it worth joining even for one stay.
IHG runs regular ‘PointBreaks’ offers. Every two months, about 100 hotels are offered for just 5,000 points per night. This can be a very substantial discount off the normal price.
The benefits at the basic levels are:
- Discounted rates Save money when you book direct on IHG with Your Rate
- Free Internet
- 10 points for every $1 at most hotels
- BA Executive Club Members will earn 2 Avios per $1 at InterContinental Hotels & Resorts, Crowne Plaza® and Hotel Indigo® hotels and EVEN™ Hotels.
- Virgin Atlantic Flying Club miles can be earned as follows 500 Miles at InterContinental® Hotels & Resorts, 400 Miles at Crowne Plaza® Hotels, Hotel Indigo® and EVEN™ Hotels
- Rewards start at 3500 points for a £5 gift card or 5000 points for a Points Break hotel
IHG run a lot of promotions that make it much easier to accumulate points. You can find details of all the promotions here. If you are staying at an IHG it is worth signing up for whatever promotions are running as the normal earning rate is not that great. You can join IHG Rewards on this page.
Current IHG sale
Book YOUR RATE before 24 February 2017 for stays between 2 December and 27 February 2017 to get up to 30% off in Europe. The sale page is here.
IHG also run the Ambassador scheme for InterContinental Hotels which you have to pay for but may be worth buying. You can Purchase InterContinental Ambassador Membership status for $200. The benefits are only applicable for Intercontinental Hotel stays. I purchased Ambassador status a while ago when I was staying in Dubai as the price for the second weekend night was much higher than the $200 fee so I saved money and received all the other benefits.
The benefits are:
- Guaranteed room upgrade
- Fresh fruit upon arrival
- In-room water
- In-room gift
- Extended checkout—up to 4pm
- Dedicated Ambassador check-in area
- pay-TV film per stay
- Complimentary newspaper, delivered daily
- Complimentary weekend night certificate when you pay for another night
- Elite status in IHG® Rewards Club
- 5,000 bonus IHG® Rewards Club points
Accor Hotels – LeClub
I have been a Platinum member of LeClub for the last year thanks to American Express platinum card. This benefit is unfortunately coming to an end but it is still worth being a member of the club for the internet if nothing else. The discount redemption is also useful depending on how many points you need to use.
The main ponts of the scheme are:
- Includes Sofitel, Pullman, M Gallery, Novotel and Mercure hotels
- Up to 10% off on your room, only when you book directly on AccorHotels.com.
- Free Internet
- Priority check in area
- Private sales
- Accor does not have a standard earning rate. You can calculate your points here. The typical rate for someone without status is 2.5 points for every €1 spent at the hotel..
- Collect 2.5 Avios for every 2 Euros spent when you stay at hotels including Sofitel, Pullman and Novotel. Just show your card at check in.
- Redemptions from 2,000 points for a €40 discount.
- There is also a range of products you can spend your points on starting from around 2000 points.
There is currently 15% cashback available on Pullman and Sofitel hotel bookings via Top Cashback.