Many of us think that it’s not worth joining a hotel loyalty scheme unless you are planning on staying with the chain a number of times. We also sometimes don’t realise which luxury brands of hotels are actually covered by a wider scheme such as Marriott or Hilton. It can seem that you need a lot of points to claim a hotel stay so often people let the points expire without redeeming them. However nowadays most hotel loyalty clubs do shopping vouchers from a low number of points. This series of articles will explain a little about the main schemes and what advantages you could get even from a single stay.
Hilton – HHonors
- Includes Waldorf Astoria™ Hotels & Resorts, Conrad® Hotels & Resorts, Curio – A Collection by Hilton, Hilton Hotels & Resorts, DoubleTree by Hilton™, Canopy™ by Hilton, Embassy Suites Hotels™ and Hilton Grand Vacations™ brands.
- Discount: A discounted, changeable & refundable rate for Hilton HHonors members. The discount is not always great in comparison to using something like Expedia through Top Cashback. However the fact that it is changeable and refundable is useful. In the current winter sale (see below) being a Hilton HHonors member gives you free breakfast for the same rate which will be worth around £25-30 for 2 people depending on location.
- App Check-In: I really like this feature. From up to 24 hours in advance you can use the app to select your room from a map. When you arrive they simply hand you the key.
- Complimentary in-room and lobby Standard Internet access
- Late check-out when requested and subject to availability
- Airline miles including British Airways where you earn 1 Avios per eligible US dollar spent at hotels within the Hilton brands (you need to register your account as points and miles to get them)
- Frequent promotions to earn extra points but you will need to register for the promotion.
- Redemptions are from around 3855 points for a £5 shopping voucher. This could be achievable from one stay.
Hilton HHonors Platinum Visa credit card
The Hilton HHonors Platinum Visa credit card is worth considering as a way of topping up points to something more meaningful and it currently has a great sign up bonus. This is a free weekend night (Friday, Saturday or Sunday) at any hotel in the Hilton group including Conrad hotels when you spend £750 within 90 days. I used my free night at the Conrad hotel in London which would have been around £275+. It was very easy to book, even at relatively short notice. Don’t forget both you and your partner or spouse could apply separately for the card to get 2 free nights, assuming you meet the spending criteria. The card also gives you silver status in HHonors though this isn’t really worth much apart from free water and extra points.
You can find more details on the Hilton website here.
This is one of the best deals for new members as they give you a welcome gift of 2000 points which gives you a discount of approximately £15 off a stay, depending on location. As they also allow part points, part cash from 2000 points you should then get another discount if you spent at least €200 on your first stay. Melia properties include the modern and stylish ME London with its fabulous roof top bar and a wide range of hotels in Spain and others across the world. This includes Melia Alicante which I will be reviewing in the near future.
Joining Melia Rewards also gives you: