British Airways have launched a sale from Germany to New York, Boston and Chicago with a wide range of dates. With prices under £1000, these work out much better value than a redemption for around £600 plus a ton of Avios. You could also potentially upgrade these fares to First using Avios from 20,000 Avios one way – personally I would only ever do the outbound leg in First. Even though these fares must be booked by 9 September, I suspect they will be gone very soon. So don’t hesitate if you are interested! I can see limited availability in March and April but plenty in July 2020.
If you are interested in maximising tier points you should be able to reach 600 tier points quite easily. The basic return with the flights to and from Germany and routeing via Heathrow would be 360TPs not including any positioning flights. You could add in Helsinki which would give you another 160 tier points return. Add in one more US city to route via to Chicago or fly the positioning flights in Club and you have over 600TPs. That’s enough for BA silver which gives lounge access. You will need to make sure you get your four BA qualifying flights on the itinerary though.
You can fly on a choice of oneworld airlines such as BA, AA, Iberia or Finnair. First choice would be the BA refurbished B777s with the new Club Suites which start operating on selected flights to New York in October.
If that is not an option I would choose either a B747 upper deck seat on BA or American Airlines on the B777-300 which has the reverse herringbone seats.
The fares are:
- Berlin, Munich, Hamburg or Frankfurt to Boston from £949
- Berlin, Munich, Hamburg or Frankfurt to New York from £942
- Berlin, Munich, Hamburg or Frankfurt to Chicago from £1087
The rules are:
- Book by: 9 September 2019
- Travel:From Germany -permitted Tue/Wed/Thu/Fri/Sat on each transatlantic sector.To Germany – permitted Mon/Tue/Wed/Sat/Sun on each transatlantic sector.
- From Germany – Permitted 05 Apr 19 through 21 Apr 19 or 28 Jun 19 through 18Aug 19 or 23 Nov 19 through 28Nov 19 Or 26 Mar 20 through 12 Apr 20 or 26 Jun 20 through 22 Aug 20 or 20Nov 20 Through 26 Nov 20 for each transatlantic sector.
- To Germany – Permitted 13 Apr 19 through 28 Apr 19 or 05 Jul 19 through 25 Aug 19 or 29 Nov 19 through 1 Dec 19 Or 28 Mar 20 through 15 Apr 20 Or 03 Jul 20 through 26 Aug 20 Or 27 Nov 20 through 29 Nov 20 for each transatlantic sector.
- Minimum stay: 6 nights
- Maximum stay: 12 months
- Transfers: Permitted
- Stopovers: 1 stopover permitted in each direction in LON/MAD/HEL at 150.00 each
- Refundable: No
- Changeable: No
HT: Premium Flights