Oman Air sale
If collecting miles and airline status is not important to you and you just want the best product at a good price, you should consider Oman Air. I flew them last year from Paris to Dubai in one of their previous sales. I was highly impressed with the seat, food and service. You can read both my reviews here.
Oman Air have launched a new global sale with the following restrictions:
- Ticket sales from 12th September to 24th September 2019.
- Valid for outbound travel from 16th September 2019 to 31st Mar 2020.
- Tickets are non-refundable but changeable for a fee
- Tickets are not eligible for the Oman stopover program
The best fares appear to be ex EU as usual:
- Paris – Dubai £1299
- Paris – Delhi £1434
- Paris – Colombo £1685
- Munich – Kuala Lumpur £1557
- Milan – Bangkok £1517
- Milan – Kathmandu £1976
Get a free night with BA Premium American Express
If you are a British Airways American Express® Premium Plus Cardmember, you can now get a complimentary extra night on stays of two, three, or four nights at selected Preferred Hotels & Resorts. Preferred Hotels and resorts have their own loyalty scheme which is worth joining if you plan to stay. This gives benefits such as free wifi and late check in/check out.
Book and pay using your Card by 30 November 2019 for stays before 31 March 2020. The promo code is MKTAMX.
You can find the full list of participating locations and book here. PreferredHotels.com/amex
Hilton American Express bonus
Some of the most useful cards for frequent travellers are the American Express cards offering Membership Rewards. If you are not loyal to one particular airline or hotel, the Membership Rewards can be transferred into a number of hotel and airline schemes including, British Airways, Virgin Atlantic and Hilton. Sadly in this country, we rarely get transfer bonuses unlike in the US. However, there is currently an offer on for transferring Hilton points which gives 3 Hilton Honors Points for each Membership Rewards point, when you transfer 1,000 or more. That’s 50% higher than the usual rate for transfers.
Points will be transferred to your Hilton Honors account within five working days but the additional Bonus Points can take up to eight weeks to transfer. So iis it worth it? Let’s say you transferred 24,000 Amex points to get 72,000 Hilton points. This could be used to get a night at the Hilton Bankside – my favourite London Hilton. An average price for this hotel is around £200.
If you transferred 24,000 points to give an equal number of Avios it would just about be enough for a return in business class to many European destinations. The average price for these is around £250. Overall there is not a lot in it but you could get more value out of either one depending on whether you were looking at a particularly expensive hotel or route. As I always say, using points and miles is a personal thing and there is not always a definite answer unless you look at all the specifics.
If you need to top up your balance there is currently a 100% bonus on buying Hilton points until 22 October. You can find more information here.
Current American Express offers
One of the reasons I have decided to keep the Amex Platinum, for the time being, is the number of offers that I make use of. Despite the high yearly fee which has just risen to £575, I probably make back well over that every year from the offers. It is a bit annoying as you have to keep checking for offers, but this month there are some good ones for travellers. If you don’t have one of these offers showing on your card that you want to use, it is always worth a call to Amex as sometimes they can add it for you.
The current offers Platinum include:
- £15 cashback when you spend £100 before 9th November with SWISS or Lufthansa for flights departing the UK.
- Get £100 statement credit on an eligible transaction of £1,000+ in participating stores & online at www.kuoni.co.uk/ by 14/10/2019. Valid once per Card for the first 10,000 Cardmembers to save
- Get a £100 statement credit on a transaction online at Princess Cruises by 1/11/2019
- Get £35 on a transaction of £200 or more at participating NH Hotels by 31 October 2019
- Get a £150 statement credit on eligible spend of £1,000+ online at Seabourn by 31/12/2019
There is also one that may be of interest at BA Amex for one of Roving Reporters favourite hotels, Gleneagles. You can read his rather amusing review about him getting turfed out of the bar at Gleneagles here.
- get a 15% statement credit on a transaction in the hotel and online at Gleneagles Hotel by 31/10/2019