The Lufthansa/Swiss group are now advertising their latest companion sale. These fares are great value but you need to consider a couple of things.
- Firstly, the group insists on no fabric masks onboard, only surgical masks or those conforming to certain standards such as N95. This is putting me off them as I have two very expensive fabric masks that have N95 filters but I don’t fancy arguing with them and not being allowed to wear them. Nor do I fancy having to wear some of the disposable masks I have tried that are N95 etc as they have not been very comfortable.
- Secondly, transmitting through a second country obviously adds complexity with travel restrictions. Obviously, if you are booking for towards the end of 2021 it is likely to be less of an issue. Germany currently has strict rules on entry from the UK.
- Finally Lufthansa and Swiss have possibly been one of the worst airlines for refunds. Both Roving Reporter and Paul have had to open credit card disputes to get their money back.
On the plus side, the first class experience on both airlines is great, particularly at these prices.
Here are the dates you need to know:
- Travel dates 30 June 2021 to 13 June 2022
- The sale is on until 20 July 2021
The sale is available from multiple starting countries. In the UK you can depart from Birmingham, Bristol, Edinburgh, Glasgow, London, Manchester and Newcastle.
Here are a selection of some of the UK fares with the total cost for two people:
|Origin*||Destination||Business Class for|
|First Class for|
|London||Amman||from £ 1,399||–|
|London||Bangkok||from £ 2,599||from £ 4,199|
|London||Barbados||from £ 2,999||–|
|London||Bogota||from £ 2,399||from £ 3,799|
|London||Bombay||from £ 2,399||from £ 3,999|
|London||Buenos Aires||from £ 2,599||from £ 4,199|
|London||Cairo||from £ 1,199||–|
|London||Cape Town||from £ 2,599||from £ 4,199|
|London||Delhi||from £ 2,399||from £ 3,999|
|London||Dubai||from £ 1,999||from £ 3,599|
|London||Hong Kong||from £ 2,599||from £ 4,199|
|London||Jamaica||from £ 2,999||–|
|London||Sao Paulo||from £ 2,599||from £ 4,199|
|London||Singapore||from £ 2,599||from £ 4,199|
|London||Tel Aviv||from £ 1,199||–|
The offer is also valid for many other worldwide destinations and departure points.
Countries that are offering sale prices are:
You can fly on Lufthansa or Swiss. I would go for Swiss myself as the aircraft as their B777 business class seats are definitely better than Lufthansa with a lot more privacy. You can read our review of the Lufthansa business class here. Swiss alternate between solo and pair of window seats. Lufthansa is 2-2-2 for the whole cabin.
The only thing to bear in mind is that if you are traveling solo and don’t have status, the Swiss solo “throne seats” come at a charge of around £160 per leg! Personally, I would go for the middle seats at least one way than pay over £300 for seat selection!
For first class either airline has a great product. Lufthansa has the edge in terms of the ground product in normal times with a separate First class terminal and the chance to be driven directly to the aircraft. The Swiss seats are more private and a bit more stylish.