Deals on BA Caribbean flights
With the list of European destinations on the travel corridor shrinking, you may want to consider the Caribbean for a break. There are a number of destinations that are still OK on the government list:
- Bermuda (not the Caribbean but similar feel)
- Cayman Islands (due to open 1 September)
- St Kitts & Nevis
- St Vincent and Grenadines
- Trinidad & Tobago
Normally the Caribbean is pretty expensive with BA apart from Punta Cana and sales fares to a few islands. There are some reasonable prices still lurking around even for as soon as October in business class. The prices are:
- Montego Bay, Jamaica £1297
- Punta Cana £1562
- Antigua £1604
- Tobago £1660
- Trinidad £1721
- Barbados £1669
- St Lucia £1509
- Book by:
- outbound – permitted 17 Jun 20 through 06 Dec 20 or 15 Feb 21 through 21 Mar 21 or 12 Apr 21 through 05 Dec 21 or 14 Feb 22 through 23 Mar 22 for each on the first international sector.
- inbound – permitted 17 Jun 20 through 27 Dec 20 or 11 Jan 21 through 04 Apr 21 or 19 Apr 21 through 26dec 21 for each on the first international sector.
- Minimum stay: n/a
- Maximum stay: 12 months
- Transfers: 2 in each direction
- Stopovers: 2 free stopovers permitted on the pricing unit – 1 in each direction in area 1.
- Refundable: See book with confidence
- Changeable: See book with confidence
Virgin also have Grenada for £1713.
TAP Flash business class sale
TAP have launched a business class sale in Europe for 48 hours that started today. One thing to bear in mind is that if you transit through Portugal to swap aircraft you will have to quarantine when you return to the UK currently. It is looking promising for Portugal to be added to the travel corridor list though. I am booked to go to the Algarve in September and the TAP price is not that good at €199 one way or 18.000 miles + 60€ for business class. The round trip comes in at £274 for a cash booking.
There are two price points:
€199 or 18.000 miles + 60€
Faro-London 199 EUR
Lisbon-London 199 EUR
Porto-London 199 EUR
Rome-Manchester 199 EUR
Lisbon-Manchester 199 EUR
Porto-Manchester 199 EUR
Plus many other destinations from Portugal to Europe.
€299 – none from the UK
You must book by midnight on 18 August for travel September 1-30, 2020. You get one free change included.
Interesting Accor Maldives voucher offer
I have written a lot about hotel vouchers and how it can be a good way to save money. Obviously these come with some drawbacks such as tying up cash and also the risk that if the hotel went bust, it could be a tricky one getting a refund although a credit card section 75 could work.
Major hotel chains have been using a company called Megatix to sell their vouchers. I have ignored most of the recent ones as they were for Asia bookings this summer which would not be of much use for UK based readers. One offer that may be more of interest is the Maldives, despite having a relatively low rate of COVID, for some reason, it has not been given status as a travel corridor and is still under FCO advice for essential travel only. If you don’t mind the quarantine and are happy to arrange insurance (see this article for companies that cover countries with an FCO warning) then the new offer may be of interest.
The offer includes Pullman, Raffles and Fairmont properties in the Maldives. Since it is run by Accor you can still get your 10% discount for being an ALL- Accor member on top. Just add the first 10 digits of your member number in the ‘Discount Code’ field during checkout. It’s free to join if you are not already a member.
They are refundable except for the 2.5% Booking fee and 2.7% transaction fee which are non-refundable.
I would double-check the prices as they seem on the high side compared to some of the other offers I have seen for the properties on Secret Escapes. Obviously you will need to compare for your dates and also taking into account was is included. For one of the cheaper properties, the Pullman prices start at £2402 for 3 nights all-inclusive which is a lot more than on Secret Escapes. This is probably also due to the poor exchange rate as the prices are in dollars (if you book, use a credit card that does not charge foreign exchange fees).
Fairmont Maldives Sirru Fen Fushi | Grand Overwater Sunset Villas
If we look at the Fairmont as an example, you get lots of extras included which are normally very expensive:
- return Domestic transfers from Male for 2 persons
- Daily Buffet breakfast for 2 persons at Raha Market
- Daily Lunch and Dinner at Raha Market, or Dining credit to enjoy one of the two specialty restaurants; Azure and Kata.
- Selection of soft drinks, white wine, red wine, beer, spirits and cocktails by the glass can be enjoyed at the restaurants and bars from 10am to 11pm.
- Unlimited non-motorized water sports (kayaking, paddle board and snorkeling)
- 20% Discount on Food and Beverages
- 20% Discount on Spa Treatment
- Daily replenishment of Fruit Basket
- Daily Yoga lessons
The offer must be booked by 4th September 2020 and you can stay from 1st October 2020 to 30th September 2021. Stay dates vary according to when hotels reopen.
You can find the Maldives page here.