Qatar Airways business class companion sale – pretty pointless
Qatar has launched a companion sale but unlike the Lufthansa and Swiss sales you only get a 25% discount on the second ticket. Still 25% off is not bad, if you could actually go anywhere of use! However, since most of the places are either somewhere you are unlikely to want to go or on the red list it seems pretty pointless. I debated whether to write about the pointless offer, but to save people wasting time searching for bargains, I thought I may as well cover it.
The only two countries that would accept leisure travellers without quarantine and aren’t on the red list are Zanzibar in Tanzania and Sri Lanka if fully vaccinated. Both of these have FCDO warnings so you would need specialist insurance. The UAE is more complicated with Abu Dhabi requiring quarantine but the emirate of Sharjah does not. In case you were thinking of staying there, it’s a dry emirate. But you could look to travel somewhere else in the UAE.
Here are the details:
- Booking Period: 17 August 2021 until 21 August 2021.
- Travel Period: 17 August 2021 until 30 September 2021.
- Offer valid only through the promo code: TOGETHER.
- The flight promo code is applicable on Business class where only 2, 4, 6 or 8 Adult passengers (12+ years) are travelling together within the same booking.
- The promo code is valid on the below flight bookings:
- From London Heathrow to: Abu Dhabi, Baghdad, Bangkok, Johannesburg, Karachi, Maldives, Seychelles, Sharjah, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Teheran, Zanzibar.
- From Manchester Airport to: Abu Dhabi, Bangkok, Durban, Johannesburg, Maldives, Phuket, Seychelles, Sharjah, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Zanzibar.
- From Edinburgh Airport to: Abu Dhabi, Bangkok, Johannesburg, Maldives, Seychelles, Sharjah, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Zanzibar.
You need to enter the promo code ‘TOGETHER’ before initiating a flight search. You should then see the special fares marked with a burgundy coupon along with the wording ‘Promo code has been successfully applied’.
The 25% off is off the base fare only, not the taxes and charges. The offer is available in most other European countries to the same destinations.
British Airways 50% Avios bonus – but what about the 50% more seats?
BA are offering their usual bonus when you buy up to 200,000 Avios until 30 August 2021, with a 50% bonus. The Bonus Avios awarded as part of this promotion will not count towards your annual purchase limit of 200,000 Avios. If you change your mind you can get a refund within 14 days if you haven’t used them.
You may have seen the headline in the email and be slightly confused like I was. BA recently announced that they would double the number of guaranteed reward seats on all long haul and short haul Reward Flights, except in First. But the email’s title says 50% more seats. As far as I can tell someone at BA can’t do maths and the title is incorrect. This seems to just be the increase that came in last month!
As from 29 July the guaranteed number of seats to be released 355 days before are now:
- Club World – 4 seats per flight
- World Traveller Plus – 2 seats per flight
- World Traveller – 8 seats per flight
- Club Europe – 4 seats per flight
- Euro Traveller – 8 seats per flight
Avios can be purchased here.
So should you buy them? This article answers a lot of questions about buying Avios at a 50% bonus.