British Airways has not been getting great PR at the moment. From the way they are proposing to change staff contracts and the current onboard meagre offerings, it has not gone down well with customers.
However, I am pleased to say that we seem to be turning a corner and I think they have actually gone beyond what many airlines are offering. Putting aside everything else, as a customer with status I am extremely happy with this. It means I can put aside any worries about making status for a while and not feel I need to travel for the sake of it. It also means I can use up some Avios if BA don’t offer some decent prices to Europe soon (they are currently very high for September to most places).
You should receive an email shortly. But here is what they are offering:
- British Airways is extending the Tier status of its Executive Club Members by a full year
- A Member’s Tier status will be renewed for 12 months beyond its current end date
- All members will benefit starting with the Tier Point collection year month of July 2020, through to June 2021.
- British Airways is also reducing the number of Tier Points needed to reach each Tier (Bronze, Silver, Gold, Gold Guest List & Concorde Room Card) by 25% for the year after the 12-month extension making it easier for Members to renew or upgrade a Tier.
This will now make the thresholds:
|Tier||Normal threshold||Adjusted threshold (75%)|
|Bronze||300 or 25 eligible flights||225 or 18 eligible flights|
|Silver||600 or 50 eligible flights||450 or 37 eligible flights|
|Gold Guest List||5,000 to upgrade 3,000 to renew||3,750 to upgrade2,250 to renew|
|Concorde Room Card||5,000||3,750|
- British Airways will also apply a 6-month extension to all newly issued Companion Vouchers earned in July, August and September. This is in addition to those that have already received an extra 6 months up to now.
- There is no change to the validity of jokers (GGL redemption vouchers)
- Gold upgrade vouchers have already been extended by six months
There are more details at the bottom of the page on ba.com here
Understandably, people have a lot of questions. I am working through them and adding to an FAQ article rather than reply to each scenario due to the volume of comments.
What do you think about what BA are offering? Are you more inclined to carry on flying with them now? Let us know in the comments below or on social media.