IHG’s rewards scheme has been one of the worst out of the major brand due to its limited benefits compared to Hilton and Marriott. Here are the brands it applies to:
Now all that is changing with the launch of IHG One Rewards which follows the announcement in January 2022 of the program’s new tier and bonus point earning structure – designed to help members earn more points faster and have more ways to use them. There are some decent benefits although you need to get to Platinum (Spire) before it’s really a good program. When you consider that with Hilton Golds get continental breakfast then it’s still not on par with some other schemes in terms of breakfast perks. However, with the suite upgrades (subject to availability) for Platinum and Diamond then if that is important to you, it’s definitely worth considering over Hilton and Marriott. The confirmable suite upgrade rewards are also worth having.
The tiers all stay the same except Spire which is now renamed Diamond from 13 April. The new benefits below will be available from “early” June.
Here is a recap of the new structure:
Highlights of the new program include:
- Faster Earn: A new tier and bonus point earning structure will allow members to earn more points faster and gain rewards sooner. The new tier and bonus point earning structure starts on April 13, 2022 and will be reflected in all member accounts on or before April 17, 2022.
- Better benefits:
- Free Breakfast for Diamond Elite members as a Welcome Amenity choice which is a proper hot breakfast. This benefit is available at all IHG brands, except limited-service brands that already offer breakfast, and at Candlewood Suites, Holiday Inn Club Vacations, select Kimpton properties, InterContinental Alliance Resorts (Las Vegas and Macau) and Mr. and Mrs. Smith properties.
- Exclusive access to Reward Night Discount Promotions for Platinum Elite and Diamond Elite members
- More opportunities for Elite members to receive early check-in, late check-out (if available) and room upgrades (to suites, if available, or another premium room type for Platinum Elite and Diamond Elite members). The program actually requires hotels to upgrade Platinum Elite and Diamond Elite members to a suite, if available which they will be monitoring so that is a huge improvement and better than other hotel loyalty schemes.
- Dedicated Diamond Support for Diamond Elite members
- Exclusive Access to Reward Night Discount Promotions for Platinum Elite and Diamond Elite members. These promotions will be a few times a year and could be as much as 20% off.
- Early Check-In now offered to Platinum Elite members (subject to availability), in addition to Diamond Elite members
- Elite Rollover Nights now offered to Gold Elite members, in addition to Platinum Elite and Diamond Elite members
- Expanded Late Check-Out for all tiers. If Platinum Elite and Diamond Elite members request to check-in early, hotels will do their best to have the rooms ready, subject to availability. And all members will be able to request a late check-out up to 2 p.m., also subject to availability.
- Milestone Rewards for Elite members, starting at 20 nights (additional details below)
- More Choice: Recognizing that not all members want to use their points in the same way, IHG One Rewards will introduce Milestone Rewards – a new platform that will allow members to choose the rewards that matter most to them. Starting at just 20 nights stayed, members will be offered a choice from a selection of rewards every 10 nights, through 100 nights stayed. These Milestone Rewards choices include points, $20 F&B Rewards, Confirmable Suite Upgrades, and Annual Lounge Membership.
Here is the list of Milestone Rewards:
In the coming weeks, IHG Hotels & Resorts will also roll out the new IHG One Rewards mobile app, which is more personalized, offers streamlined booking, and allows members to stay informed, check-in faster, stay connected to the hotel, and travel with flexibility. IHG One Rewards members will be prompted to update their app on their device either through the Apple App Store or Google Play Store.
Existing member stays from January 1, 2022 will count toward their new-and-improved status. The new tier and bonus point earning structure starts on April 13, 2022 and will be reflected in all member accounts by April 17, 2022. All member benefits – including the launch of Milestone Rewards – will become available for members in early June 2022.
To learn more, visit ihg.com/one.
Thanks for this summary. Do you know if reward nights will count towards Milestone rewards?
Does pounds £ spent with the IHG credit card still go towards status as it does now?
No it doesn’t.
Comments are closed.