British Airways is upgrading its Avios platform in November meaning a number of services are not available. In fact, it is actually IAG Loyalty behind the move which is related to moving all the various Avios schemes to one common platform. As far as I understand it, to the end-user it won’t look any different when it’s finished. But I would expect this to make it easier to transfer Avios between different airline accounts much easier using “Combine my Avios” as this can sometimes be tricky. So far, there has been nothing official from BA on what exactly will be the difference once the platforms are combined.
From 3 pm on 13 November 2021 until midnight 17 November 2021 (GMT), you’ll be unable to log in to your Executive Club account or spend your Avios. There are also several features that are already unavailable.
Phone lines are very, very busy at the moment so I would definitely not leave anything you want to do until the last minute in case there is an issue.
What services are already unavailable?
Until 17 November inclusive it will not be possible to:
- Allocate your Executive Club partner cards if you are Gold Guest List
- Make a claim for missing Avios. If the closure means you miss the deadline, I would definitely be trying to reach British Airways afterward by phone or Twitter to claim them. Another alternative is Flyertalk that has a “BaMissingAvios” official poster you can contact.
- Add another Member to your Household Account
- Remove a Member from your Household Account
- Amend personal or contact details of any Members in the Household Account
- Set up a new Household Account
What else will you NOT be able to do from 13-17 November?
- Access your Executive Club account on ba.com or through any of the British Airways mobile apps
- Make changes to any booking paid for using Avios – so do not leave any refunds or changes until the last minute.
- Spend your Avios on flights, companion vouchers, cabin upgrades, hotels, car hire, bags and seats
- Buy food and drink onboard using Avios
- Shop through eStore
- Buy, gift or transfer Avios
But you can still do these things..
- Make a booking with cash
- Check-in online
- You can still contact BA if you are traveling on an Avios booking during 13-17 November and need to make a change. I expect the phone lines to be even busier during this period.
- Continue to collect Avios(except through estore), though the Avios may take a little longer to arrive in your account
- Earn Avios for food and drink purchased on board
Anything else you need to be aware of?
I’d expect sites such as SeatSpy and Reward Flight finder to not be able to show up-to-date information at the time of the shutdown. So I would not rely on those if you get an alert. On the plus side, no one else can access anything either!
There is no mention of adding your frequent flyer number to a booking and then booking seats. I am pretty sure (but not 100%) you will be able to add your BA number to a booking when you make it during 13-17 November. Whether it would then allow you to book seats for free according to status during this period is less clear. It depends on where it retrieves your status information from and whether it is linked to the redundant system. Again, I would generally avoid doing anything during this period if you don’t need to. Fortunately Black Friday is not until 26 November.