Today BA has released a number of videos to tell passengers what to expect when travelling with them. As travel starts to look more likely by July or August, it is about time that BA took a more proactive approach to get people back flying safely, so it is good to see the videos.
I was hoping to hear more about what we can expect from onboard service as currently catering is pretty bad. Except in economy where you at least get a drink and a snack free! I would expect to have an official press release today hopefully, so I will update this if there is any new information.
The mask issue is interesting as it says that BA Ask all passengers to wear a mask. Is this something they will police?
Here are the areas covered and the relevant videos:
This is the general video released:
Preparing for travel
BA are requesting that passengers:
- Keep hand luggage to a minimum but there are no changes to what you are allowed to bring
- Download the app so you can use a mobile pass
- Check-in online
- Arrive no more than 3 hours before your flight for long haul or 2 hours for short haul
- Bring enough facemasks for the length of your flight
At the airport
- Check-in online and get mobile boarding passes
- Use the automated bag drop at the airport if you have luggage
- New sanitising stations have been installed to use after touching anything
- You must stay airside if you are connecting
- From 8 June 2020, the UK government’s quarantine measures does not allow the transfer of international flights between London Heathrow and Gatwick or vice versa
- There are still premium check-in areas for business and first class
- The First Wing will NOT be open initially
- There is no fast track security currently
- Lounges are expected to be closed until at least the end of June.
BA are trialling a new boarding process. There is no longer group boarding. Priority boarding will only be available for families and customers who may need additional time to board. Flights will board from the rear of the aircraft to the front (if you’re travelling in First, then you will board first from the first row to the back row of the cabin).
You will need to scan your boarding pass and your mask needs to be removed for passport checks.
What to expect on board
- Wear a face mask at all times
- Ring the call bell to summon cabin crew
- Minimize moving around the cabin
- Don’t queue for the toilet – only get up when the green sign shows
- You’ll be offered a new food service which will reduce physical contact with our crew. You can read more about this in my previous article.
- There is no Club Kitchen
- You can’t buy food in economy
- Special meals, including children’s meals, are unavailable. Please bring your own food if required.
- In-flight entertainment is available on long-haul but all magazines have been removed.
- There is no duty-free onboard
- Entire fleet cleaned from top to tail every 24 hours
- HEPA filters onboard filter out 99.9% of viruses,
- Air is replaced every 2-3 minutes
- Enhancing cleaning at airports
- BA sanitise key surfaces before every flight, from seat to screen, seat buckle and overhead controls.
- Infant cots are replaced after every flight
You can also find more information on this special BA page.
Do the videos make you feel more inclined to travel with BA? Is there is anything else you think BA should do? Let us know in the comments below or on social media.