Although the Amex Platinum can seem expensive at £575 a year, with all the offers and benefits, it’s always been a good deal if you use them all. With the latest edition it makes it even more worthwhile with an extra £300 to spend in total. Even if you just add in the Harvey Nichols benefit at £100 a year that gives you £400 back without including things like the Priority Pass for unlimited visits for you and a guest, the travel insurance, car hire excess insurance and the monthly offers which can give hundreds of pounds back and discounts.
American Express has launched an exciting three-year offer, giving current and new Platinum Cardmembers up to £300 in statement credits each year when spending at top restaurants in the UK and internationally. Although the offer is not totally new, it’s the first time we have seen it guaranteed for 3 years and a separate credit to be used abroad.
Running through 2022, 2023 and 2024, Cardmembers can receive up to £150 in statement credits at UK restaurants and up to £150 at restaurants internationally, each calendar year. Cardmembers simply need to save this newly-launched offer to their Card and choose from the global selection of over 1,400 restaurants in the UK and internationally. The first offer is valid until 31 December 2022 and the following two years will run from 1 January to 31 December.
NOTE: The UK offer is not live yet but should be by the end of 20 July
A full list of restaurants is available here.
There’s a decent choice of restaurants, not just in London. However, outside London the choice is quite limited.
- Aqua Shard
- Amazonico London
- Bar Des Pres
- Bread Street Kitchen (Edinburgh and others)
- Gordon Ramsey Bar and Grill
- Hawksmoor (excellent steak restaurant – various locations)
- Helen Darroze at the Connaught
- Lucky Cat (Gordon Ramsey’s Asian inspired restaurant)
- Tattu (Birmingham, Edinburgh Manchester, Leeds)
- The Ivy (Cardiff, Glasgow and more)
- Ugly Butterfly
Outside the UK, restaurants are available in a decent range of countries including the US, Thailand, Australia, Spain and France. But there is only one or two restaurants included in most cities apart from New York.
Cardmembers must register for both the UK and international offers through the American Express website or app, then book direct with the restaurant and pay with their Platinum Card at the venue to receive the statement credit. The spend will usually be credited on the Cardmember’s account within 30 days from the transaction.
There is even more good news that makes it easy for everyone to get the full value from the offer – the credits can be used across multiple meals and there is no minimum spend requirement.
For more information and terms, click here.
Here are some of the other benefits:
- Up to £100 a year back, in statement credits, when spending at Harvey Nichols – a new benefit announced in January 2022.
- Worldwide travel insurance for the Cardmember, their family and supplementary Cardmembers.
- Hotel benefits including complimentary room upgrades upon arrival (when available) and a late checkout, when booking through Fine Hotels and Resorts.
- Access to the world’s largest independent airport lounge access programme – Priority Pass. Access to American Express Centurion Lounges around the world, including Heathrow Terminal 3, which opened in October 2021. In total, access to over 1,300 airport lounges in 140 countries. You can also access Plaza Premium lounges and certain Lufthansa lounges when flying on most Lufthansa group flights.
- Cardmembers enjoy one-of-a-kind experiences at exclusive Platinum events from dining and lifestyle experiences, to fashion and iconic sports events. Bookable through the Amex Experiences app.