BA double Avios – what you need to know
If you are a BA Executive Club member you will have received an email yesterday about their latest promotion. The offer is for double Avios on new bookings flown by the end of 2018.
As usual there are a few terms and conditions that you need to be aware of:
- Double base Avios only, not on bonus Avios
- Promotion applies across all routes and cabins for up to 10 flight sectors
- A sector is a single qualifying flight between the point of departure and destination with no scheduled change of aircraft
- You must register, book and fly by December 31, 2018.
- It does not apply to existing bookings prior to registration
- It does not apply to flights as part of BA Holidays
You can earn Avios on the following flights:
- BA prefixed flight no on any cabin on any BA operated service,
- BA prefix on a transatlantic flight operated by British Airways (BA), American Airlines (AA), Iberia (IB) or Finnair (AY) between the Europe and North America.
- Domestic flights in Southern Africa (operated by Comair), Sunnair and CityFlyer.
If you had trouble registering yesterday thanks to BA’s IT issue with the link, BA have said you will still get the Avios on any flights booked yesterday (27th) providing you had managed to register before midnight yesterday.
You can find the registration page and terms and conditions here.
Further B787 Trent 1000 engine problems
Many airlines have been struggling to find enough aircraft to replace their B787s that have been out of action as a result of the B787 Trent 1000 engine issues. BA and Virgin have both been affected and had to lease aircraft.
BA to expand biometric boarding to New York JFK
BA have been trialling biometric boarding gates at both Orlando and Los Angeles recently and are now expanding it to New York’s JFK airport. Biometric gates are fully automated and use facial recognition so passengers do not need to show their passports or boarding cards to board. The existing trials have proved popular with customers so they will now be trialling two different company’s brand of gates at JFK. They plan to do a parallel trial for 45 days which will process around 1000 passengers a day. One of the types of gates is already in use with the second to follow shortly.
BA/IB/AA Business Class flights from Switzerland
Yesterday I published an article about some great companion fares from Switzerland to the US which start from £1058. Reader Michael kindly dropped me a line with a few extra suggestions on the fares:
- BA does NOT allow a stopover in Europe and AA does allow stopovers in Europe.
- There are similar fares available with both Skyteam and Star Alliance airlines
- Flights to Monterey, Vail, Palm Springs and the other West Coast cities all allow transits in the East Coast meaning it takes 6 flights on the itinerary with all the extra tier points