Prior to Covid, I used to use Same Day Change a lot, but for some reason I kind of forgot about it until recently when I tried to change a flight and couldn’t. Today Katie in London had the same issue and managed to solve it, so I thought it was worth a run down to refresh memories or perhaps let people know who aren’t aware.
What is Same Day Change?
If you book an economy Plus or Plus Flex fare or Club Europe you can change flight times on the actual day in most circumstances completely free. This is particularly useful if you have a connecting flight on a separate ticket, such as positioning where you have allowed plenty of time but actually could make an earlier flight.
It is also useful if the flight time you really want is more expensive, but you are willing to chance booking the cheaper one and changing on the day.
What are the rules?
- Same Day Change is available on simple point-to-point flights (so no connections on the same ticket).
- It’s only available on short-haul and domestic flights for Economy Plus, Plus Flex and Club Europe.
- You can’t use them on an open jaw i.e. if you return to a different airport than where you started from
- You can use them with BA Holidays bookings, but you may have to call to use it. There is a duty number on your booking for while you are away. Use this, and there is rarely a wait. Katie got through today immediately.
- It is not available on Avios or redemption tickets.
- You can make the change from midnight on the day of departure until one hour before departure.
- Checking in for your flight can remove the ability to do the change online, so don’t do it until you have changed your flight.
- You can’t change airports even within London, so no changing to a Gatwick flight if you were meant to go from Heathrow etc.
- You can only change the flight for that day, not any other flights on the same booking.
- If you do a same day change on the outbound flight you may not be able to do it on the inbound as well.
- Obviously, there needs to be seats available. The easiest way to check this is to subscribe to Expert Flyer which has all sorts of useful information such as seats available and seat maps.
- There only needs to be availability in the cabin you are travelling in. It does not need to be a particular fare class.
- It only applies to BA operated flights, not codeshares.
How do I do a Same Day Change?
The option should appear in your app or manage my booking after midnight on the day of departure. If you can’t do it then you will have to call British Airways or the BA Holidays Duty line if you have a package with a hotel or car hire.
Just go to Manage My Booking and then change flight. When you enter the details to change to a flight the same day it should show as £0. If you are having trouble, you can also call.