In this post:
First UK airline removes mask mandate
Jet2 has today become the first UK airline to remove the mandate to wear masks onboard its aircraft.
A spokesperson said “It is no longer a legal requirement to wear a face mask in England and Northern Ireland, including at our airports or onboard our aircraft. However, as per UK Government guidance, we recommend that customers continue to wear a face mask in these spaces, and we remind customers that they will need to wear one when they get to their overseas destination. Customers travelling from Scotland must still wear a face mask.”
Further information can be found here: https://www.jet2.com/en/flights/safe-travel/our-face-mask-policy#flights
Which UK airports don’t require a face mask?
You’ll notice that it says “at our airports” as well. I had a quick look at some of their UK airports and indeed many have changed their policy for mask-wearing. However, it’s quite a mishmash and really I think they should all do the same rather than make it confusing for passengers.
Some have reduced it to personal preference:
- Manchester says that they “strongly recommend the wearing of face coverings”
- Gatwick says “We continue to recommend passengers wear a face covering when at the airport. Our staff continue to wear masks for your safety and theirs.”
- Southampton “The wearing of masks will be down to an individual’s personal choice “
Some only require masks in some areas:
- Birmingham says “In order to protect our staff and to ensure that they feel safe in their role it is mandatory for all customers/passengers to wear a face-covering in security, on all buses (landside and airside) and immigration.
Some still mandate wearing masks (in Scotland it is still mandatory legally):
- Leeds Bradford‘s advice seems a little out of date as its references 2021 but says “access to and within the terminal is restricted to those wearing face coverings, until further notice”
- Heathrow “As we continue to welcome passengers from around the world, wearing a face-covering will still be required whilst in our terminals unless you are exempt. “
- Newcastle “All passengers must wear a face mask within the terminal building. Passengers must also wear masks in the Airport catering and retail outlets, unless they are sat at a table to eat and drink.