A few days ago I wrote that improvements to BA’s meal service were imminent. It has now been confirmed that the changes will start from 25 October.
Here is what you can expect:
- From 25 October to 24 November the World Traveller, World Traveller Plus and Club World meals will be served on a tray for the main meal. In Club World so will the second meal. Then it will return to a box. (a few return catered flights on some B777-300s will not get the tray for the second meal, just the current offering.)
- The first meal service in Club World and World Traveller Plus and World Traveller will have a choice of hot main course
- Hot breakfasts will be served as well as lunch and dinner. The rest of the meal apart from the main course will stay the same.
- Heathrow, Gatwick, and USA flights will start the new service on 25th, everywhere else the 26th.
- The second meal will now be a cold snack instead of the hot sandwich/pizza currently served. The meal is exactly the same as now with but with a cold sandwich instead of hot, biscuits, and chocolate bar.
- Cairo, Moscow and Amman will have the short-haul meal service for the rest of the winter even on long haul aircraft types. This means a starter, sandwich and dessert in a box.
- There are no changes to the plastic cups or drinks offering.
Here is the current first meal:
Here is the current second meal service
There is no word still on when they may improve the drinks service. Even getting rid of the plastic glasses would be a step forward.
I often travel with some very nice plastic champagne flutes which are stylish, lightweight, and don’t take much room. They are very fine but sturdy plastic and are even dishwasher proof. Perfect for an Air BnB or villa that is lacking any decent glasses or for a picnic. The Champagne flutes cost £18.95 for 4 and there are also 4 stemless wine glasses for the same price.
this is good news, i fly home from Seychelles on the 26th, but I didn’t understand first line… e.g. then it will return to a box? “From 25 October to 24 November the World Traveller, World Traveller Plus and Club World meals will be served on a tray for the main meal. In Club World so will the second meal. Then it will return to a box.”
The trays will go again and it will go back to being served in a box but still with a hot main. This will match First. I’m guessing it’s to do with supply of boxes for hot meals but who knows? Very odd.
I think it means first meal (hot) will be on a tray. The second meal (cold) will be in a box. I agree that the wording could be clearer.
It does say both meals will be on a tray in Club. Well until the end of November. No idea why.
PS my comment above applies for World Traveller Plus and World Traveller. Both Club meals are on a tray. Regarding breakfast, it is hot for all cabins but not clear if on tray or not….Good old BA!
When we say a tray for Club World do we mean as it was in January or basically an economy meal as served in January is now being served in Club? I would imagine the latter as they are sticking to plastic cups which suggests they want a fully disposable service with no China or metal cutlery either. I certainly won’t be spending any money with BA while this blatant cost saving dressed up as Covid safety remains.
It’s the same meal as now but in a tray with a tablecloth and a hot main course.
Michelle. Is there any news on when/whether it will be possible to order special meals?
Sadly not. I do think this is pretty poor given that if you are gluten free you can’t eat virtually any of the meals.
Thanks Mark, and whilst i generally agree with Andrew that BA is offering a sub-optimal product as cost cutting measures, i will still buy BA tickets if the price is right – e.g. like the 747 club tickets @£999 ….
Any news on BA First?
There are no changes to first planned at the moment
Comments are closed.